What is WP Hashcash?
WP Hashcash also protects the signup forms of WordPress Multi-User (WPMU) and BuddyPress (BP) blogs.
- Blocks all comment spam, but not real comments
- Also prevents most trackback / pingback spam
- Also protects signup pages for Wordpress (WP), BuddyPress (BP), and Wordpress Multi-User (WPMU)
- Widget support to display spam statistics and edit the configuration
- Works with IE, Firefox, and Safari
- 100% standards compliant XHTML 1.1, works with jQuery and Prototype
- Tested with Wordpres 2, Firefox, Safari, IE, and Chrome
- Akismet compatibility
WP Hashcash relies on the presence of two hooks in your theme, wp_head and comment_form. If your theme doesn’t include these actions, you will need to add them immediately before the </head> and </form> tags respectively.
To install WP Hashcash, please download the plugin and unzip it, then copy the wp-hashcash.php file to wp-content/plugins. Activate the plugin and drag into your Widgetized sidebar for public statistics, or visit Options, WP Hashcash from the admin panel to configure options:
Questions & Answers:
I’m having issues with it working.
If you’re installing it over an older version, please disabled then re-enable the plugin. This will reset the preferences.
Do I need widgets to use this?
No, WP Hashcash ships with reasonable defaults, and lets you change them via the standard Wordpress options panel.
How does it prevent comment spam?
How does it prevent trackback spam?
By comparing the IP of the trackback’s url with the senders IP, and by looking in the trackback’s url for a link back to your post.
- “One of my favorites” (src)
- “this is a clever idea that I think might work well” (src)
- “I haven’t had a single comment spam in my comment moderation queue for over a week now. I’m feeling the love!” (src)
- “The least annoying one I have found” (src)
- “this thing was a trivial install” (src)
- “a fancier technique” (src)
- “Comment Spam is a thing of the past, and I owe it to Spam Stopgap Extreme. If you use WordPress, I highly recommend installing this plugin. It has completely eliminated the comment spam problem I was having. I no longer need the spammer Tarpit plugin, or anything.” (src)
- “Why am I not worried about comment spam anymore? Because of my awesome new blog plugin, Spam Stopgap Extreme. This baby blocks any bot trying to post to my blog. No blacklists, no moderation, no “spam points”, no nothing. You won’t even know that it’s working.” (src)
- “I haven’t had anything to “deal” with in several weeks. That’s a nice thing. I’ve also had a bunch of folks leave legitimate comments that have gotten through. It’s all good.” (src)
WP Hashcash 4.5
- Support onload via jQuery / Prototype if they happen to be loaded
- Protect BuddyPress (BP) signup pages
WP Hashcash 4.4
- Admin users can now comment from Dashboard
- Tested on WP 2.9.2 in Chrome, IE, and FF
- Fix a potential JS error
WP Hashcash 4.1
- Added a new options page under Options, Wordpress Hashcash
- Fixed XHTML standards compliance
- Added validation options for pingbacks and trackbacks (stolen from here)
- Added a logging option for moderated comments
WP Hashcash 4.0.5:
- Added an option for handling comments via moderation, the akismet queue, or deletion
- Removed database dependencies
- Removed error message for hash fail
- Corrected the widget formatting
- Changed zip file format from winrar to 7zip, hopefully it will be more compatible
WP Hashcash 4.0.4:
- Removed version checking
- Removed an unnecessary <link> element in the head section
WP Hashcash 4.0.3:
- Suppress errors on loading remote version by any method
- Fix typo-bugs everywhere affecting the widget reporting, date checking, etc
- Strip tags from remote version
- Try various methods to get remote version, ignore if we can’t open sockets
Should you encounter any issues using this widget, please leave a comment. Likewise for improvements, outcry, and other commentary you might have.